Tuesday, November 07, 2006

You Have to Ask

A colleague approached me recently looking for fundraising advice for a group he is involved with. He wondered about the best way to put together a sponsored event - asking people to give a certain amount for every meter climbed of a mountain or some other way of using a climb as a fundraiser. This is an organization that has helped hundreds of young people over many years.

While these events are worthy, I offered another suggestion: ask people who have benefitted in the past from this group to make donations. Just ask.

I told him that if they have names and contact information from people who have been through their program over the years he should simply contact them and ask. It might be that an event is needed still, but it might just be that he could get everything that he needs just by asking the people who have spent time with his group and grown up to be successful adults who are thankful for their experience.

Often this is the best thing to do, especially if people have a clear connection to an organization and it has made a meaningful difference in their lives. Don't be afraid to ask - you don't need an excuse. In fact, you are honouring a potential donor by asking them to make a difference to your organization. You are telling them that they are important and can make a positive contribution through their gift.

Another colleague came to me to complain about local sports teams selling her chocolates several times a year as a fundraiser. Now, in this case I can see a bit more why you would do this...to simply ask for a gift so that your team can buy new uniforms or go on a trip is not as easy. Usually you are canvassing in the neighborhood and asking people who have no connection to your organization. Still, this colleague said to me, "I'm tired of spending all this money on chocolates - I wish they'd just tell me how much I need to donate and I'll write them a cheque!"

You have to ask.
------- End of forwarded message -------
--
David Hutchison
Shawnigan Lake School
Director of Annual Fund
250-743-6236   dhutch@sls.bc.ca

No comments: